Thursday, February 24, 2011

100 nights... minus some.

Well, it's almost here.  100th night that is.  It's unbelievable how quickly these past few years have passed.  I still think about when I first got to this place, and I remember seeing the seniors and thinking "they made it this far, so can I."  Well, that helped me get through quite a few challenges at this place.  Freshman year was a bad year for me.  I came here older than everyone else and felt so out of place while everyone else was still talking about high school, and I had had a life that was completely different from the one here.  Well, I finally adjusted to this world, and I'm glad I've stayed because I've made some amazing friends and don't doubt that I've grown as a result of being here. Even though sometimes it's questionable... But that's another blog in itself.  

Anyways, We actually have less than 100 days until graduation (we count the days until graduation here), but 100th night is a celebration of 100 days until graduation.  We have a fancy banquet and everyone brings dates up from wherever, usually spending around a grand on paying for flights and fancy hotels and shows in the city.

Along with the short time until graduation comes all of the questions: will I do a good job outside of this place?  Will I be able to lead soldiers without getting anyone killed?  My job will be a desk job, but you just never know what type of job you might actually have to do... It changes depending on the needs of the unit.  I was all ready enlisted before I came here, but I know it's totally different on the other side of the house... Just doing my job well was enough to get me a lot of recognition.  Just by not blowing things off and actually working to be good at my job people thought I was good.  As an officer, well... that's kind of expected.  I suppose the fact that I do care will help.  I also think that people that come out of here think a lot more about their future time than people who graduate from other sources... I say this because we spend four years talking about being LTs, in every single class we take... I know in my major, everything we talk about applies to our future jobs.  I'm a psychology major, so it makes a lot of sense that we would spend a lot of time talking about leading people, but nonetheless...

Alas, that is all I have to say about that topic for now.  I'm sure I'll blog later about something more interesting.

1 comment: