Sunday, June 12, 2011

Well, now that I have time...

I'm actually kinda bored.  I didn't think it was possible, but with everyone working, no car, and none of my family living in the downtown area where I could walk anywhere, there's not as much to do.  I just finished my most recent book.  I would have loved to have run, but I did quite an adventurous ten-mile run yesterday that included lots of hills, trails, public transportation (because I got lost on the trails), a lot of hunger, and a generally very long ten-miles that scared my mom because I wasn't at her work two hours after telling her I was on my way.  So, my knees are not in the best state today (I think the hills did that, since I had been running in Florida, and there are no hills there, I am not so accustomed to them anymore).

  Today was quite an unremarkable day spent in my pajamas reading my latest book that I bought before my plane ride back, Fly Away Home, by Jennifer Weiner, who is one of my favorite authors for light reading.  Well, I guess I wouldn't call it light... the story was pretty sad up until the end, but I suppose it doesn't take a lot of processing to understand what is going on.  I REALLY need to find a book that is mostly happy, but I haven't had much luck in that area... I suppose all good books have something bad happen, but these have all involved a lot of emotional difficulties, and if you're like me, you get really into your books, and take on the moods of the characters, and when you're reading emotional books, that isn't always the best thing.  All of the three books that I've finished recently have involved affairs (though all in different contexts)... not really the happiest thing to read about.  Next on the reading list: Brave New World.  I've been wanting to read it since last summer when a girl in my summer training platoon was reading it (we spent nearly every weekend at Barnes and Noble buying new books).  I have that one along with several others that I acquired before I left Florida, along with books that my sister has (about half of which are books that I read over the summers while I was here and left).

In the meanwhile, I cooked my sister and I some curry with tofu, red peppers, and spinach for dinner :)  And am now relaxing to some music (yay Pandora!) and red wine.  Quite unremarkable indeed, but quite relaxing. I wish I had my music books here, or I'd play my flute.  I have my flute, but my books are all in the trunk of my mom's car... oops!  I do suppose I could download sheet music from the internet and play off of my computer screen :).  As some of you may know, I really want to learn to play the piano, and I think that will be one of my goals now that I am finished with school.  I would love to take lessons, and since I actually know most of the fundamentals of music all ready (and have learned a little about the piano in the past), I'm hoping I could catch on quickly.  Sadly, most of my experience with musical instruments has been with wind instruments (flute, clarinet), but I took up a little guitar back in my teenage years.  The only unfortunate part of playing wind instruments: they don't really go well with singing.

Alas, I'm going to find something else to do with my time besides blog :)

Love,
Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment