Tuesday, September 18, 2012

What Can Happen in a Year?

So I've been thinking about how much can change in just one year.  It's crazy - a year ago I had no idea what the next year would bring. At the time I didn't know if I was going to deploy, didn't even know where I was going to live.  I CERTAINLY didn't expect to deploy then return within two months.  I had no idea I would end up on the floor in my office and end up being diagnosed with epilepsy.  Heck, I had no idea that would happen within a day of it happening.

Now here I am, uncertain of what the next year will bring.  Will I still be HERE, or will I be somewhere else?  I may end up closer to home, or somewhere else.  I have no idea.  I kind of wish that I did have some idea.  I'm almost giving up on the whole transferring thing... It's one more thing that is adding to all of the other uncertainty.  I still don't even know when I will be "returned to duty" (aka, not in this transition unit).  It's sometime between October and February, and that's about all I know!  Of course if I am here until February, I will be assigned here, which means I'll be able to choose where I want to go next.  I'm almost at the six month mark here, and at that point, they have to assign me here (right now I'm merely attached - meaning I'm still on my original unit's roster, but where I am right now is responsible for me).  And who knows what else might change in the next year?  At least right now I pretty much know I'll be staying in the military, unless the medications I'm on don't do a good job of controlling the seizures, but right now they seem to be doing the trick, and my neurologist thinks I'll be good to return to duty after six months (from August).  That is where February is coming from.

Speaking of controlling seizures (sort of), I met my goal of raising $1,000 for the Epilepsy Therapy Project (ETP).  For those who haven't pieced it together from past posts, I am running the Philadelphia Marathon for Team ETP, which is a charity partner with the Philly Marathon.  By signing up to run with them, I committed to raising 1,000 dollars for the charity - and I did it!  Of course, not without the support of others!  I was really concerned because for awhile I was having issues meeting the goal, but once I contacted people personally, I got a decent amount of donations.  Some from my girl friends and a decent amount from family, plus some from other people who knew what I was doing.  One less thing I need to worry about :)

And speaking of running - I did my first twenty-miler in awhile on Sunday!  The knee is giving me a bit of trouble, but it's not too bad.  I am hoping to get in a few twenty-milers before this marathon - unlike the last one, where I was in the midst of deploying and could only get in one twenty miler, so my endurance was kind of sucking come race day.  I had a decent speed going for awhile!  The fact that I can hold an 8:05 minute pace for the half marathon, but can't hold it for the marathon tells me that I'm not lacking in decent marathon speed (to me that's a good pace to hold for a marathon - maybe not for a shorter race or a world class marathoner!), it has more to do with my aerobic fitness and endurance.  I think with more endurance training and hopefully less knee pain (hoping, hoping), I should be able to at least break 3:50.  To me that's a fairly modest goal, and I'd like to go faster.  My last marathon was in 4:03, and that included several stops, and a lack of real endurance training.

Anyways, I always get so off topic.  I should work on some homework and then go upstairs and run on the treadmill (I'm not keen on running in thunderstorms!)  Happy Tuesday!

Nina

No comments:

Post a Comment