Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Flashbacks! Eurotrip 2006/Getting to Germany.

Inspired by a conversation from last night and also Pat's "Flashback Fridays" and "Wayback Wednesdays" I'm going to start occasionally posting blogs that I have written in the past.  For those of you who do not know, I've been keeping a blog since 2003, but then I made it "Friends only" because I didn't want everyone reading all of the personal thoughts I put up there (you get older and wiser, right?)  I don't really use that blog anymore, but there are some interesting things in there.  At least, to me they are :)  And without further ado, here are a few from my time in Germany.  The first one is from when I first got to Germany (befitting I think), and then two from the Eurotrip that I took while I was in Germany right before coming back to the states.  Along with some pictures :) 

Friday, 19 March 2004

Hey everyone,
I'm finally in Germany, and suffering from serious jet lag and nose stuffiness, but this place doesn't seem bad at all!  I like it for what I can tell, except the base is weird.  There are a bunch of small ones... and I have to show my ID card at every entrance into the little ones that are like five minutes apart.  It's hard to explain, but I'll get used to it!  I'm in Manheim where I was supposed to go, but actually it turns out they HAD changed it to the First Armored division or something.  But my sponsor, well, not sponsor, First line supervisor actually who was there with my sponsor, managed to get it changed back to Manheim, he said they needed me here.  Yay.  Except that I'm not on the systems yet!  That worries me.  Anyways I'm at my sponsor's house for a little get together, and I'm LEGALLY drinking some beer, it's good.  Anyways, that's what I have to say for now.  I'm real tired, I haven't really slept more than a few hours in the last 24 hours.  So I'll talk to everyone later!

Love,
Nina Rose

Thursday, 08 June 2006

Well, I am currently on my second day in Budapest (hungary), and I leave tomorrow for Split, Croatia.  I started my journey in Vienna (well, technically Mannheim, but that doesn't count), took a day trip to Bratislava with my Vienna travel buddy who I met in the hostel there (hey Larissa!), missed my train I needed to be back in time to go to Budapest, so I had to wait until five hours after my original plan, but it's all right.  Currently I'm in my hostel, everyone else is out, but since I got lost wondering around this huge city I decided that I was tired and wanted to stay in (that, and I'm on a budget, lol).  So, when I get to Croatia I think I will be enjoying lying out on the beaches.  Woohoooooooooooooooo.  After Croatia my plan is Southern France, not sure which city yet though...

So, thus far I've had an awesome time, and I will be continuing on with my journey tomorrow... with a 16 hour train ride from here to Split.

Well, I'm EXHAUSTED, good night all!

Love,
Nina

Tuesday, 20 June 2006

Okay so I suppose I should put an update out.  For all of you who don't know I managed to kill my two most valuable pieces of portable electronics on my trip (other than my laptop, because I didn't bring it).  Those items would be my cell phone, and my digital camera, so if you need my new #, let me know.  But other than that, I had a great time.  Actually the cell phone was locked in the room on the island I got stuck on for a night... yeah, I did get stranded on an island, lol, but only because I missed my ferry back.  It would've been okay except all of my luggage was in Split (on the mainland).  But I managed to visit Vienna, Bratislava, Budapest, Split (Croatia), and two islands off the coast of Split, to include Hvar and Brac.  It was a great time, and I now have a nice tan :)  I will load the pictures soon.  I'm sorry I haven't been returning comments- my internet has been down, and prior to coming home I was using internet cafes (moneeyyy).  They are pretty expensive in Croatia, even though everything else was quite cheap. 

So, what else is new you ask?  Well, I am currently clearing the Mannheim community and will be home on the 1st of July.  Woohooo... then starting July 14th, I will be a cadet candidate.  Go me!  I guess... lol.  I'm not looking forward to two more Basic Trainings, really not, but oh well, I guess it will be easier for me than the first time since I've done it once, right? Anyhows, I better get going so someone else can use the internet here.  Everyon have a great week

Love,

Nina

I will also post some pictures that I took from that trip :)

 --> The view from my window of the island I was stuck on in Croatia (Hvar).

 --> That little area that sticks out is where I spent all day reading and getting tan/sunburned.

 --> I rented a bike and rode around on the island of Brac.

 --> Statue Park in Budapest (or somewhere right outside).  They took all of the Communist monuments and put them in a park.  I remember it taking me all day to figure out how to get to the place using public transportation (which, by the way, is really difficult when you don't know Hungarian).

So there you have it.  Right when I got to Germany and around the time I left.  I'm sure I'll post more of these when I'm sitting in the Soldier Scholar lounge between classes because I'm too lazy to walk up the six flights of stairs to my room when my next class is in the same room as my last class (right next to the room I'm in). 

~Nina

2 comments:

  1. Space these things out. You need them to be filler when nothing else happens, or you are too lazy to write. That's what mine are for. :op

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, well, this is my blog, so I think I can post whatever I would like :) I actually posted those together because I was getting to Germany then leaving Germany. Kinda like I'm about to leave West Point. Transition!

    ReplyDelete